A special scheme is available for bright and needy students attending or admitted in full-time undergraduate courses in the following fields of study at the MCCI Business School:
Brevet de Technicien Supérieure (BTS –équivalent à BAC +2)
- Banque - Uniquement en alternance
- Tourisme et Culture
SBM FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME 2019
Terms and Conditions for Undergraduate Scholarships at MCCI Business School
Applications are invited from students who would like to be considered for the award of scholarships including a full scholarship for students attending or admitted in undergraduate courses at MCCI Business School. Scholarships will be awarded to meritorious students who come from a family whose household income does not exceed Rs 20,000 per month.
In order to support measures to eradicate absolute poverty in Mauritius, a special consideration will be given to meritorious students who come either from a family registered under the Social Register of Mauritius or from vulnerable groups as defined by the National CSR Foundation Charter 2017.
In addition, students from Rodrigues and Outer Islands as well as disabled students are also eligible for this Scholarship Scheme. We highly encourage students from these groups to apply.
2. Eligibility Requirements
2.1 Candidates must:
• be citizens and residents of the Republic of Mauritius
• meet the minimum entry requirements of the course proposed (e.g. a good HSC or equivalent for degree courses)
• come from a family whose household income does not exceed Rs 20,000 monthly or who come either from a family registered under the Social Register of Mauritius or from vulnerable groups as defined by the National CSR Foundation Charter 2017
• NOT be children of SBM employees
• NOT have benefited from any other scholarship for the same course / programme
2.2 Candidates should hold a firm offer of a seat at the MCCI Business School for a full-time programme of not less than the equivalent of one academic/full year of study.
2.3 Candidates should be less than 25 years of age by the closing date of submission of application and not be in employment.
3. Documents to be submitted:
i) Application form duly filled in, where applicable
ii) Letter of motivation.
iii) Copy of birth certificate of applicant and his/her parents and their marriage certificate.
iv) Certified copies of results of SC/O level and HSC/International Baccalaureate or equivalent, and any other relevant qualifications held.
v) Copy of letter of offer/evidence of enrolment specifying nature of course and course title.
vi) Testimonials from two referees, who know the candidate personally. At least one of the referees must be familiar with the academic record of the candidate.
vii) Evidence that applicant’s family income does not exceed Rs 20,000 per month
viii) Evidence from the Ministry of Social Security that applicant comes either from a family registered under the Social Register of Mauritius or from vulnerable groups as defined by the National CSR Foundation Charter 2017 (if applicable).
ix) Evidence from the Ministry of Social Security or the National Council for the Rehabilitation of the Disabled (NCRD) that applicant benefits from a Basic Invalidity Pension (if applicable).
x) Proof of address (copy of a recent utility bill, less than 3 months old).
4. Conditions of Scholarship
4.1 The scholarship will cover the costs of tuition fees, library and examination fees, Student Union fees and other administrative fees levied by the institution up to a maximum Rs 100,000 per annum plus an allowance of Rs 12,000 per annum for books and other learning materials. Students from Rodrigues and the outer islands will receive a maximum additional amount of Rs 5,000 per month for Board and lodging and also a return airfare (economy) from their place of residence. In such cases the maximum scholarship would be Rs 172,000 per annum plus the return economy airfare, if applicable.
4.2 Students will be eligible for one scholarship at the undergraduate level only.
4.3 Candidates holding another scholarship will not be eligible for a scholarship under this scheme.
4.4 The beneficiary of a scholarship will sign an undertaking that s/he will complete the course / degree programme, failing which, the Councillors of SBM Foundation reserve the right to recoup the disbursement already made.
4.4.1 The scholarship amount for the academic year will be disbursed at the beginning of each academic year as follows:
• for the first academic year, upon submission of evidence of registration.
• for subsequent academic years of study, upon submission of evidence of successful completion of the previous academic year.
4.4.2 A scholarship holder who has to repeat an academic year will do so at his/her own expense, the scholarship being withheld until evidence of admission to the following academic year of the programme is submitted.
4.4.3 A scholarship holder who has to repeat the final academic year of study will do so at his/her own expense.
4.4.4 Clauses 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 shall not apply if a scholarship holder repeats an academic year due to medical reasons, and submits documentary evidence to that effect.
4.4.5 Once a scholarship has been awarded, the following provisions shall apply:
• In the event a beneficiary changes programme of study within the same institution, the beneficiary will be bound to inform the Councillors immediately. The Councillors reserve the right to cancel the scholarship and recoup disbursements already made.
• In case of change in institution the refund of the disbursement would be mandatory.
4.4.6 Applications will be considered on an on-going basis and subject to availability of funds for that particular year.
4.4.7 All fees required to be paid to the Institution will be released directly to the Institution as they fall due.
4.4.8 The yearly allowance will be paid directly into the SBM bank account of the student subject to the submission of evidence of successful completion of the previous academic year, as mentioned in 4.4.1 above.
4.5 Other Terms & Conditions:
• The student should keep SBM Foundation informed of all happenings such as any loss of property, change of address, change of contact details, illnesses etc… In case of illness and absence from courses for a period of 4 days or more, the student should provide SBM Foundation a medical certificate justifying his/her absences.
• SBM Foundation should be kept informed and have a close follow-up on the academic progress and situation of the student. The latter should produce a copy of all semester examinations results for the inspection of SBM Foundation.
• The student should have no political association, and do nothing that may impact the reputation of SBM Foundation and be of any risk to it.
• SBM Foundation keeps the right and authority of interrupting the scholarship in case of:
o Any misconduct or behavior that SBM Foundation considers as inappropriate or that may negatively impact the reputation of SBM, from the student.
o In case of academic failure of the student.
o In case of the student’s results being below the expectations of SBM Foundation.
5. Termination of Scholarship
5.1 The scholarship will be terminated in the event a scholarship holder fails to complete the course / degree and enrolment is terminated by the Tertiary Education Institution / MCCI Business School for reasons of performance, or conduct, before the expiry of the duration of the programme.
5.2 In the event of termination of a scholarship already awarded, the Councillors reserve the right to recoup disbursements already made.
6.1 Eligible candidates will be called for interview (if required) after a shortlisting exercise.
6.2 Candidates are reminded that no application will be considered in absentia and that they should be present for the interview.
7. Mode of Application
Interested candidates should either apply online or on the prescribed form that can be downloaded on www.sbmgroup.mu/scholarships
7.1 Duly filled in application forms should be submitted by the closing date, 30 August 2019.
7.2 All copies of supporting documents should be submitted to:
MEF-MCCI Bldg/ 58-60 Ebène, Cybercity by the above-mentioned closing date.
i) The Councillors of SBM Foundation reserve the right to change the conditions of the scholarship as they may deem fit from time to time.
ii) The Councillors of SBM Foundation reserve the right to call for interview only the best qualified candidates.
iii) Only successful candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application / the Councillors will notify each applicant of their decision.
iv) The Councillors will make the final decisions of awards and reserve the right not to award any scholarship in a particular year.
v) The decision of the Councillors is final and binding and at their sole discretion.
vi) The Councillors of SBM Foundation, SBM and/or its Directors and/or its Officers, stand free from any liabilities arising out of this exercise.
vii) Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.